iphone-mmsThis guide will tell you how to get MMS on an iPhone 3G or 3GS running 3.0 or 3.01 still.

THIS WILL GET YOU THE OFFICIAL AT&T 5.5 CARRIER FILE ON YOUR PHONE WITHOUT UPDATING TO 3.1 LIKE APPLE/AT&T WANT YOU TO DO!

Also please note, if you want to do this on an an original iPhone (2G), please see my previous post on that subject.

There are many reasons for this… actually like two.

• You can’t upgrade because of Exchange and encryption issues.
  • You have a jailbroken iPhone 3G/3GS, and don’t want to upgrade to 3.1 yet (and ruin your jailbreak)
  • So to begin, first thing is first:

1. Be sure you close iTunes

MAC OS X:
    Close iTunes.
    Open Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal).
    Run the command:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE

osxset

Windows 32 Bit:
    Close iTunes.
    Go to Start then Run and type CMD.
    Run this command:

"C:Program FilesiTunesiTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

xpset

Windows 64 Bit:
    Close iTunes.
    Go to Start then Run and type CMD.
    Run this command:

"C:Program Files (x86)iTunesiTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

x64set

3. After you accomplish that, you will need to download this Official AT&T 5.5 Carrier File. I’d have recommend you save it to your desktop.

4. Open iTunes up, and plug in your iPhone, say NO to updating to 3.1 firmware.

5. Click your iPhone in the left sidebar, and then:
    (Mac) Option+Left Click the “Update” button.
    (Win) Shift+Left Click the “Update” button.

6. After that, you’ll see a window show up where you need to select the type of file before it lets you choose it.

itunesipcc

7. After that, pick the AT&T_US.ipcc file, and choose Open.

8. Nothing will really happen to notify you that it worked, after you’re done though, unplug your phone

9. Reboot your phone.

10. Go into Settings, and then General, then About, your carrier should show your carrier as AT&T 5.5.

IMG_0106

11. If all is well so far, then you should be able to start sending/receiving MMS messages.

12. Enjoy, and post any questions/comments/concerns in the comments section, and direct your friends to this post as well.

Tagged with:

85 Responses to “Guide: Get MMS on AT&T iPhone 3G/3GS OS 3.0 & 3.01 (OFFICIAL)”

1. Lgndryhr says:

I did this but now my celluar data network does not work. Is there a way to keep my celluar data network working or configure it?

Corey Reply:

@Lgndryhr,

Not with this file, this is the official AT&T 5.5 .ipss file, it’s not supposed to have the Cellular Data Network visible.

You can always go back to using a hacked .ipss file if you wish, but there’s alot of us out there that don’t want to use those files.

Lgndryhr Reply:

@Corey, I followed this guide. Everything worked fine and added the 5.5 file but now my internet through AT&T is not working.

Lgndryhr Reply:

@Lgndryhr, nevermind. it’s all working just fine now.

@Lgndryhr,

glad to see you got it working properly!

Tario Reply:

@Lgndryhr,

Eh, I was wrong again. This time I got zero “error” but when I go to iTunes, I can’t select the ipcc file.

Corey Reply:

@Lgndryhr,

yeah, sometimes you might have to restart your phone – users doing the real upgrade were experiencing that too.

@Lgndryhr,

Lawrence Williams Reply:

@Corey,

My computer accepts the file download as a zip file. Once the zip is downloaded, I cannot find the ipss file. Please help

@Lawrence Williams,

You’re using OS X and Safari aren’t you? Use Firefox instead, it’s not a zip file, it’s apple trying to protect those files by disguising them as a .zip.

Lawrence Williams Reply:

@Corey DeGrandchamp,
      Thanks for getting back to me. I’m using windows vista. I still can’t find that ipcc file. Should I use a different browser?

Lawrence Williams Reply:

@Lawrence Williams,
      It worked. My problem was I needed to download the zip file using firefox. But now, I still can’t send or recieve. At&t says its an issue on their end. But I wonder . . . .

2. ALA says:

I’m running 3.0.1 on 3GS and i dont see the AT&T_US.ipcc file when i search for it and i made sude i change the file type to .ipcc

any ideas how i can fix this?

@ALA,

Try redownloading the file to a location you can remember, if the file type is .ipcc you should be able to select it if you can find it.

ALA Reply:

@Corey DeGrandchamp, i did and i unzip the file, but still dont see the ipcc file.

@ALA,

Use firefox to download the file, Safari will think it’s a zip… but it’s not… it’s just a .ipcc file directly.

ALA Reply:

@Corey DeGrandchamp, all i see is the following path
      ATT_US\Payload\ATT_US.bundle but no ipcc

@ALA,

see above comment.

3. Tario says:

I can’t get this to work for the life of me. I’m in the command prompt & I get nothing except C:\Program is not recognized as an internal or external command. Can someone help?

ALA Reply:

@Tario, type cd..

untill you get to the C:\>

then run the command

Tario Reply:

@ALA,

I did exactly that, & I still get that error. I’m on the C:\>

Any ideas?

Tario Reply:

@Tario,

Nevermind, got it to work. No paste, just typed it out & it appears to work now.

@Tario,

Glad you got it working.

Please not, if your MMS’s show up with a red !’s mark, its because part of AT&T’s cell network is down for MMS, overloads, don’t ya know ;)

ALA Reply:

@Tario, run this command

“%Program Files%\iTunes\iTunes.exe” /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

ALA Reply:

@ALA, i dont see the AT&T_US.ipcc when i search for it.

@ALA,

Be sure you downloaded it to a place you remember, it shoudld show up as long as you change the file type to .ipcc

@ALA,

This is also a valid solution, probably a better one in fact! Thanks!

@Tario,

don’t forget the quotes around “C:\Program Files\iTunes iTunes.exe”

Tario Reply:

@Corey DeGrandchamp,

I did that too. The time I got it work, it just went to the C:\> prompt after appearing to complete.

I then opened iTunes, selected “update” with shift+left click & I have no option to select an .ipcc file from the drop down menu.

Tario Reply:

@Tario,

So I typed everything out again & it worked!

I can now see the .ipcc file & have updated.

Corey, thanks for your help sir!

~Tario

Tario Reply:

@Tario,

Just an FYI if anyone else is having problems…

I pulled up my processes & was sure to close anything having to do with iTunes. iTunes was closed, however there were some things related to it still running in the background so I “ended” each of their processes (2 I believe was all there was).

Then I ran the cmd command & it worked.

@Tario,

good advice, glad to see you had success!

4. Barry Pate says:

Is there a way to get MMS with the 2.2.1 version AT&T 3.1

@Barry Pate,

nope, MMS was added with 3.0

Why wouldn’t you want to upgrade to 3.0 and jailbreak/unlock that?

Barry Pate Reply:

@Corey DeGrandchamp,
      I bought the phone already jailbroke/unlocked just not sure how
      to do it myself and dont want to cause it not to work. Is there a place on here or program that i could use to upgrade to 3.0
      if so then I will try it

5. Brian says:

When I type in the CMD command line it says it isn’t a valid command

@Brian,

I guess you just have to make sure it’s perfect – it defiantly works, so just copy/paste maybe?

Brian Reply:

@Corey DeGrandchamp, on my CMD window it doesn’t start with just c:/ it starts with c:\Documents and settings\user

does that matter and if so how can i make it just c:

Brian Reply:

@Brian, i got it to

“C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe” /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

when i hit enter it just goes to the next line and waits at c:\> is this what it is supposed to do?

6. Sonni Slimm says:

C:\User\slimm)
      is what my command line shows, how do i get it to just say C:

Brian Reply:

@Sonni Slimm,
      type

cd..

and hit enter and keep doing that until you get c:>

Sonni Slimm Reply:

@Brian, ur awesome thanks

7. Sonni Slimm says:

im getting this error now
      “C:Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe” is not recognized as an internal or external command
      operable program or batch file what am i doin wrong?

Anonymous Reply:

@Sonni Slimm, you can’t copy paste try typing it out

Sonni Slimm Reply:

@, no, thats what i am doing, typing it out but i keep getting this message

Sonni Slimm Reply:

@, i found it on another site, i needed to add (x86) to the line thanks though :)

8. Brian says:

I get an error when I try to update with iTunes any advice??? Help please I have a jailbroken 3.0 3gs and windows xp 32 bit and the latest version of iTunes

9. Pain b gone says:

So I get it to C:\> then enter the command for Vista 64bit and get the reply:
      The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

What am I doing wrong?

10. Anonymous says:

Do not copy and past the command, you have to type it out just like it reads and all will be good.

11. Pain b gone says:

You guys rock! It works!!! Typing instead of cut and paste did the job!

12. Sean Williams says:

I did the update and it works fine. But I lost my custom carrier logo. How do I get it back because I tried through SSH and nothing

13. Rob says:

For Windows users now being able to get the command to work:

The quotes ( “” ) typed on an Apple machine are different than the ones typed on a Windows machine.

Typed on OS X: “C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe” /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

Typed on Windows: “C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe” /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

Rob Reply:

@Rob,

Ok, it isn’t the operating system, it’s the website that is changing the character codes. For Windows users, just delete and retype both of the quotes, and it will work.

14. bc.budd.smoker says:

i have this damn problem… on my windows vista laptop i have been trying to get passed the damn command prompt part, i have typed the command 10000000 times and it say the same shit as everyone else, i stopped all apple things on my task manager, i copyed n pasted i also typed it in, checked letter by letter and its the exact same thing for not only the 64 but also the 32 just to try it n i cannot get the damn thing to work can someone help me n let me know what the hell i am doing wrong??????

15. bc.budd.smoker says:

well i fixed it, try one command n if it dont work try it for the other windows version

16. Anonymous says:

my itunes does not give me the choice of file type. it only shows .ipsw as a choice. whats wrong?

17. artmanp says:

I have the carrier file 5.5 loaded on my phone but when i go to type a mms message there is no camera next to the window where u type. Why?? thanks

18. Vishnu says:

HI is got the mms working but when i sent mms to someone they are not receiving it,
      and when i send to myself it coming.

What to doo

19. Anonymous says:

In the command center I type everything in just the same and hit enter and then it just brings up the next C:\>. Is that all its supposed to do in the command center? Does that mean the command went through?

What am I doing wrong?!

20. S.O.T.B. says:

What am I doing wrong?!!!!

S.O.T.B. Reply:

“Then when I do the shift+update in iTunes it says “The Iphone could not be updated. An unknown error has occured.”

21. X says:

for those of you having issues with the cmd prompt once you get to C:\> just copy and paste the command from this website into your cmd and then change the (” “) in the cmd program by just going over to it delete and readding it then just press enter and you will see C:\> pop up again that means it worked

22. Brian says:

FIX FOR iTunes Error when trying to update

If you are recieving an ERROR when updating the ipcc file the reason i have found was because of the ATT Cumstom Carrier LOGO via Cydia. I removed that and rebooted and WORKED! Perfect.. Don’t forget that MMS will not work(atleast well) if your wifi is on..

Anonymous Reply:

@Brian, Thanks Brian, I’ve been looking for a solution to that problem all morning. This worked perfectly.

beaker Reply:

@Brian, Were You able to restore the custom icon or is it unable to coexist with MMS?

Sethster Reply:

Brian – THANK YOU so much for posting the ATT custom carrier fix. I removed it from Cydia and was then able to download the 5.5 file to m iphone without the error in iTunes. You rock!

@Brian,

23. S.O.T.B. says:

Still having the same problem! Is there a way to manually put this onto the phone through SSH?!

DB Reply:

@S.O.T.B.,

Did you use the dropdown to select “carrier settings” after shift-clicking update?

Anonymous Reply:

@DB, Yes, then the scroll bar comes up for a second and then I get that error message

24. DB says:

If people would just read and follow directions exactly as posted you’d have no problems. Took me about a minute and a half.

[Reply]

25. Did the update checked the carrier in settings and its 5.5 but not getting the camera in message mode. I had installed swirly MMS but removed it could that be the problem I heard it disables the MMS on the IPhone

26. Al says:

Installed this hack from another site and now have ATT version 5.1 – works on 3GS and 3G phones with 3.0

This version is ATT 5.5 (official). Any differences ?

Thanks

Anonymous Reply:

did the same worked but carrier is at and 5.0

27. Anonymous says:

worked but carrier say 5.0 any difference

@,

you didn’t update anything then, so it didn’t work.

it should say 5.5

Anonymous Reply:

honest says 5.0 updated in itunes now have mms sending and recieve honest …….

28. Kash says:

why the comnd line not working for me …
      any one hit with correct comnd line for me i am on vista 32 bit
      now i am reinstall itunes let C what happnd

29. Kash says:

there is space in this commend or not , i know its very stupid question but its not working for me
      C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe” /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

C:\ProgramFiles\iTunes\iTunes.exe” /setPrefIntcarrier-testing1

which one are Correct please help me out

@Kash,

there IS a space.

“C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe” /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

30. yourbig.ru says:

There’s a lot of information here. I’ll be back again.

31. qbertman says:

I couldnt get this to work untill I actually typed in the command . For some odd reason copying and pasting does not work. Works fine now. I beat my head on the wall for an hour of this one.

32. Gabe says:

Hey Guys, I had problems with my network, I tried to go to safari and would tell me no network connectivity, same with the app store and other programs that require internet. so what I did was I reset my network settings. this is located under settings –> General –> Reset. now I have my MMS work and internet. hope this help some of you who run into this, i was going nuts trying to find a solution and couldn’t find one.

33. D's elites says:

i tried it but it didnt work.

34. Jermaine says:

This article is very informative but it took me a long time to find it in google.
      I found it on 15 spot, you should focus on quality backlinks building, it will help you to rank to google top 10.
      And i know how to help you, just search in google – k2 seo tips and tricks

35. Petra says:

Hi there, You have done an incredible job.
      I will certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends.

I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this website.