When launching the game Diablo under Windows 7, almost all users experience problems with color. Alot of “fixes” out there require a batch script that kills explorer.exe and restarts it after you exit diablo.exe. That method works, but is NOT ideal.

This method is a very simple fix which works for a majority of users, it involves opening the screen on Windows 7 that allows you to change your resolution. Why this works is currently unknown at this time. It should also work for other legacy Blizzard games such as the Starcraft series.

Tagged with:

43 Responses to “Windows 7 & Diablo – Color Fix”

1. Who actually plays the original Diablo?
    Probably more people than I think haha

Corey DeGrandchamp Reply:

@Adam James Fuller,

It’s still the 707th most popular game on X-Fire… haha.

Diablo 3 is 33′rd most popular, still gets a shit-ton of hours clocked in every day.

Adam James Fuller Reply:

@Corey DeGrandchamp, Of course it is! lol

For some reason, we think related to me having an asshole gateway, I can’t play D2 on Useast.

So I’m assuming I won’t be able to play D3.
    I mean if my computer could even handle it. haha

Rave Vahn Ashlocke Reply:

@Corey DeGrandchamp, i know it’s been years since someone posted on this blog but heck, i just finished Diablo III and waiting for the expansion Reaper of Souls..i decided to play Diablo Hellfire and this solution works on my Acer laptop.. thanks, though i doubt if you can still read this.. good job!!

Corey DeGrandchamp Reply:

@Rave Vahn Ashlocke, site is still alive, seen, and noted your comment, thanks man! glad it could help someone else! Get hyped for RoS!

billh Reply:

@Adam James Fuller, You can be certain of it.

2. Anonymous says:

didn’t work for me. Thanks though

Corey DeGrandchamp Reply:

@, There might be some other helpful comments in the YouTube page, check there.

Diablo fan Reply:

@Didn
    t work for me either, bummer I was hoping to play some Diablo for the first time in 2-3 years. lol such a great game though. A true classic.

matti Reply:

@, you have to set your wallpaper to a solid color

kyle Reply:

@, thanks man it works fine once i made my background all black

3. yigit says:

what about widescreen ? how can i do

4. Joe Muraira says:

it work for me for about a hour and then the screen went blank after that the game restarted and the color problem started all over agian. I try to do the same method but it wont work what can i do?

5. Trevor says:

On my Acer the “screen Resolution” is not there when i right click how can i fish it then?

Trevor Reply:

@Trevor, fix

6. Andy says:

I spent a few years trying all the different fixes, and found one that is easy and straight forward hope it works for anyone who reads this… Set your visual theme to high contrast black… Run Diablo or Hellfire, Do not change compoatability settings, not necessary with this fix… This worked for me on Windows 7 64 bit.

7. Bonnie says:

thanks heaps.. worked on one compture and not the other strange they r both running the same windows 7

8. Anonymous says:

change the screen res to 1024×768

Subert Reply:

@,
    You are a beautiful person, worked for me on both hellfire (v.1.00) and Diablo (v.1.09)

9. Anonymous says:

This worked fine for me on Win7-64. Diablo 1.00 worked fine with no workaround needed but once I patched to 1.09 then backed up to 1.07, I had the color issue and opening the res screen fixed it. Thanks!

10. Heero says:

@Andy Thanks a lot for the info man!! I’ve been searching for while to get Diablo 1 working without the color glitch!! Got Starcraft 1, Fallout 1 and 2 and now Diablo 1, Hellfire and The Hell running perfectly! If you haven’t tried “the Hell” total conversion mod for Diablo 1 then try it out!! It’s worth it and one hell of a challenge!!

11. Batman1404 says:

Easiest fix that I discovered on my windows 7 x64 pc with a Core i7 2600K was to open: Properties>Compatibility> and check the boxes Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 3) and then check ALL of the boxes within the Compatibility window. Then click apply. Like I said, this simple fix solved the compatibility problems for me within Diablo I and Hellfire.

benjistyle Reply:

@Batman1404,

thanks batman it did work

Fletch Reply:

@Batman1404,

Thanks batman,
    That worked for me as well.

12. Anonymous says:

yay!! thats work nice!!

13. Dane says:

Just passing through with this fix and worked great. techjawa.com FTW added to favorites, new favorite site.

14. Mefist0 says:

solid colour background and open resolution options…works perfectly

15. John Kwon says:

For those who find the above doesn’t work, or, like me, don’t want to reconfigure everything for just one game, the following works well for me:

Configure Diablo.exe to run in Win95 mode, 256 colors, 640X480 screen resolution.

Then, to cure color distortions, run from the following Diablo.bat file:
    taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
    Diablo.exe
    pause
    start explorer.exe
    exit

This is using Win7 64-bit.

Corey Reply:

@John Kwon, Yep, this works too. I wanted another solution myself though because alot of my systray icons didn’t restore when killing and restarting explorer. Luckily the fix in the video works for most and is extremly simple and doesn’t change any settings.

John Kwon Reply:

@Corey, Actually, both work for me as well. Now that mine is set up, I can just double-click a desktop shortcut to the bat file and play without thinking about it. Yours requires remembering each time to first open the resolution screen.

Since each seems to work for some, but not others, it’s definitely good to have both options.

16. Gugus says:

thanks it worked perfectly

17. TJ says:

I tried several different methods described here and on other sites, including the explorer.exe kill and Screen Resolution window open to make Diablo 1 work in Windows 7 64-bit, and this is what worked best for me:

Install the 1.09 patch from Blizzard
    Windows XP SP 3 compatibility mode
    All checkboxes checked under Settings
    Uncheck the box for Run as Admin

Game runs fine without needing to kill explorer.exe, change screen resolution, or keep the screen res window open

tomulli Reply:

@TJ, Works well.

Cpt. Pew Reply:

@TJ, Thank you! This works! I checked and unchecked all boxes under compatibility settings a few times wishing it did something but it didn’t. The magic happened when I unchecked the box “run as admin”. This works for Hellfire as well

18. Johan says:

Thanks alot. I spend al lot of time on fixes and shit, and here you come with a simple, yet effective plan. Big thums up buddy.

19. noships says:

full of crap, that stupid fix doesn’t work.

20. Chris says:

Download and install XP mode, virtual PC and the Application Compatibility Toolkit (it has shims to fix a lot of programs). Right click the first time you run an app that doesn’t work in 7, pick troubleshoot compatibility. Use the settings it finds, most apps work.

[Reply]

21. My brother suggested I would possibly like this website.
    He used to be totally right. This put up truly made my day.
    You cann’t consider just how a lot time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

22. dorenca.es says:

This text is priceless. Where can I find out
    more?

23. Destroya says:

Ich habe auf einem Diablo-Forum einen trick gelesen, der -ohne andere Einstellungen wie Kompatibilität/Resolution/explorer.exe killn (wer kommt auf sowas?!) funktioniert (unter Win7 Home Premium 64 bit):
    Farbtiefe auf 16-bit (High-Color statt True-Color) stellen. Keine weiteren Einstellungen nötig.

[Reply]

24. Please let me know if you’re looking for a author for your weblog.

You have some really good articles and I think I would be
    a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off,
    I’d absolutely love to write some articles for your blog in exchange for a link back
    to mine. Please send me an email if interested. Thanks!