Dell OEM Windows 7 Theme

On February 23, 2010, by
Posted in Guides, Technology

My mother recently purchased a new Dell desktop, and well, the OEM theme they ship it with just looks GREAT… see below!

Dell OEM Windows 7 Theme

Sure you might argue that their theme is only a background wallpaper, but I wanted to extract the theme entirely rather than just give you a wallpaper.

So really all you need to do is download and extract the theme below to:
%USERPROFILE%AppDataLocalMicrosoftWindowsThemes

You can access this folder by putting it into your location bar, like this, then press enter.

Then right click your desktop, and go to “Personalize” and choose your new Dell theme! It’s that simple.

Dell Theme Selection

Here’s the download link:
Dell_OEM_Windows_7_Theme.zip

Enjoy!

Tagged with:

45 Responses to “Dell OEM Windows 7 Theme”

1. No one wants that garbage! Probably packed with spyware!

Corey Reply:

@James Kaczynski II,

Hey now, hey now! It’s not, It’s just a .zip’d theme file with the theme logo and background.

James Kaczynski II Reply:

@Corey, I could just change the interface color to be a similar grey look and then get the wallpaper? I don’t see any changes other then the wallpaper? Confusing!

Corey Reply:

@James Kaczynski II,

But with this, it’s set up so you can go into “Personalize” and you have the actual Dell theme, logo and all how it was intended.

PieWai Reply:

@Corey, And what about the Windows startup screen. Is that one also included in the theme?

Corey DeGrandchamp Reply:

@PieWai, It is not. What is different about the windows startup screen on a dell with Win 7 thought? I didn’t notice any difference?

However, this is just the system theme that Dell provides to new computers but does not offer for download anywhere. It is not a full system skin. (Who would wan’t DELL branding all over their non-dell PC?)

Anonymous Reply:

@James Kaczynski II</

anonymous Reply:

fuck u it,s not a spyware

2. Patrick says:

Put the wall paper in a \Dell subdir otherwise this won’t work.

Corey DeGrandchamp Reply:

@Patrick, It worked for me without any changes to the files included? Was the wallpaper just not working for you?

3. James says:

I want the login screen aswell why isnt that there

Corey DeGrandchamp Reply:

@James, There’s no difference to the login screen on a Windows 7 Dell box? Just the “Dell” icon which could be added from anywhere, and wouldn’t be possible to include in this kind of package anyhow.

4. James says:

I had the theme and login screen and the whole package and then I reinstalled the OS and wasn’t there. So i wanted it again. It came with login screen, wallpaper etc. It should be possible it include it.

Corey DeGrandchamp Reply:

@James, Unfortunately the only Windows 7 Dell PC I have access to is one that just has a stock Windows 7 login screen with nothing special about it, so there’s nothing for me to rip and re-package :(

5. James says:

there should be one that changes the login screen. It has a green background with a bus. The login screen should look like the background here. Press Start Button and L and check to see if it has checked. Try all of them

Corey DeGrandchamp Reply:

@James, I’ll try this and get back to you on it, I don’t have immediate access to the computer as it’s not mine. I’ll let you know the outcome though!

6. G says:

i got my studio xps and reinstalled windows 7 and could not find the theme anywhere, so thanks!

7. john says:

i would like to look for this theme with dell log on screen for my dell studio xps..thanks in advanced

8. Lammy says:

Any news on the Dell log on theme?

9. Lammy says:

Found it myself :)

There’s not really a “logon” theme, it’s just a jpg file that’s been loaded at windows start-up.

Open REGEDIT and browse to the following key to: “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background” change the value to 1 and exit the register editor.

Browse to C:\Windows\System32\oobe\ and create a new folder named “info”, create a second folder in Info named “backgrounds”. If you did it correctly you should now have a directory tree like this one: C:\Windows\System32\oobe\info\backgrounds\

Copy the Dell.jpg file from the ZIP file to the directory you just created, rename Dell.jpg to backgrounddefault.jpg

Reboot and your ready to go…

10. Sammy Boy says:

I was able to extract it all right but when i zip it again to .themepack the logo doesnt get zipped any suggestions?

11. Shadow Warrior says:

I working on a new dell there is a oem.theme file that is getting applied when a new user gets logged in for the first time. I want to know how to change the default pic to another dell image instead of this bad one called transportation_1920x1200.jpg. the oem.theme gets created only in the new users profile!!! Any thoughts on how this file is being created?

12. Stephen A. says:

If you can remember what the logon screen looked like, or were fortunate enough to remember what the .jpg was titled I’m sure you could google it, and then use software to change it manually. I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate for a family member, so I’m on the hunt for the same thing. I’ll let you know if I find anything, cheers.

13. PR Marketing says:

Thanx. Just the info I needed. :)

14. Nnnnnnnnnnnice! it have excellent quality (:

15. Rob says:

the logo and the background image are placed in a \Dell sub-directory but won’t show together in the theme. Suggestions?

16. attahun says:

great! thanks for this. better to update the link file to “%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes” for convenience sake.

17. Milind says:

Thanx a lot for posting this.

18. JR says:

Hi Corey, recently i lost my Dell 580S systems, and reinstall the systems whit recovery dvd, but, de OEM theme is not in backup, my Dell OEM theme, have 9 or 10 wall pappers in diferent colosrs, as you are shering, Plese can you send me the complete themepack, just have to do a right click in the theme and select save to share.

Thanks in advance

19. Ashiq says:

Thanks….., I got it !!!!!!

20. rik says:

Frankly thanks M8 for the theme and your really hard work, this themes are hard to get especially for non savvy people like me.
    much apreciatted.

21. Jonathan says:

This thread has been helpful. First, it reassured me I wasn’t a complete loon about wanting to preserve my OEM theme–Wallpaper, color settings, user icon, etc. in a single themepack so that I could resore it without using the OS Reinstallation Disc* I am probably OCD about it, but I like the conformist Dell branding. Also, for a person who uses EnCase & FTK on a regular basis for cases, I am still discovering new registry keys & values. The one’s provided here are an example of that. If anyone does find a way to get the OEM theme from a Dell system, and could type it out step by step, I know I’d send you $10 by PayPal…yeah, I’m that intense.

Signed,
    Jon, Dell Loyalist

*BTW: you shouldn’t ever buy a Dell without this, they are one of the few manufacturers who even offer them, and they allow for a clean install with no activation hassles or the factory bloatware. I know there’s the recovery partition and the option to create recovery discs, but that isn’t the same as having a digitally licensed & activated copy for your system.

22. @DavidXian says:

This is the Logon Background I’ve ripped from the OEM. Enjoy! :)

Corey DeGrandchamp Reply:

@@DavidXian, thanks for this! Alot of users have asked but I didn’t have that available to me!

23. anivesh says:

dell vostro 3550 has fingerprint scanner. and the drivesr for win7 are not supporting for it

24. Larry says:

25. Faisal says:

While on the theme selection window right click on the theme and save for sharing single file will be fine for sharing without the different files and images.

26. lightyas says:

thanks ^_^

27. Nolan says:

I LOVE this theme I’ve been looking for it for EVER!
    I am so glad that you put the theme on techjawa but I don’t think you need to open Computer and take a picture of it though.

28. AndyR says:

Thanks for this. I’ve recently installed a clean vanilla version of Windows 7 on my Dell laptop and missed this theme. I was looking round for something good to replace it and came across this. I’m not sure you mentioned anywhere that you may have to create the ‘Themes’ directory though if it doesn’t exist, but apart from that, Worked perfectly.

29. Neal says:

All I get is black in the downloaded folder. Same as Larry above: :Why is black the only color now? Before the reinstall, the same image was available in blue (my favorite) and red as well. Any way to get the blue back? Thanks in advance.”

Please help me to get blue back. I have been trying to find a way for a couple years now. Many thanks in advance.

30. Jitendra says:

Thanks for sharing !

31. sameer shah says:

there are good for small kid