Recently I installed a new ROM to my phone and discovered all my media files (Music I have on my SD card, and any ring tones and alerts on the system that came with the ROM) were showing duplicates and sometimes more then two. At first I figured this was an issue with the ROM and ignored it. After installing a different ROM I discovered the same problem.
To Fix This:
1. Open Settings > Applications
2. Select the All tab.
3. Scroll to find “Media Storage” and select it.
4. Select Clear Data and confirm you would like to do this. (Note: Media will appear to be gone from phone if you don’t follow the next step.)
5. Restart phone.
- Menu names may vary between Android ROMs.
- Also, I have not experienced this with stock ROMs but I imagine it could happen.